Faulty or inadequately installed electrical wiring is one of the main causes of fire within the home. The NICEIC – a regulatory body for the UK’s electrical sector – advises that a full inspection of your electrical system is a necessity at least every ten years. Today, London Electricians review four signs that let you know when your electrical wiring may no longer be safe and requires a professional to inspect and repair.
If you detect any burning smells in your home – particularly if they are of a bitter, unpleasant odour – and you cannot locate their source, turn off your circuit breaker and consult professional electrical contractors immediately as this could be a sign of something dangerous. They will be able to check all of your electrical wiring, appliances, and wall sockets to see whether anything is overheating and, therefore, a potential fire risk.
Fully functioning and safe electrical wiring should make no sound at all, so if you hear any buzzing noises then there is something affecting the current, such as frayed wires or loose connections. You can often trace this back to a specific outlet; should you suspect that an outlet is making a buzzing sound then get in touch with a local electrician to take a further look for you. Do not attempt to look at the outlet yourself as you could easily be electrocuted if you don’t know what you are doing.
Lights that dim or flicker
The occasional flicker of your household lights is usually nothing about which to be concerned, however, if you find that it is happening frequently, don’t dismiss the issue and seek expert electrical services. Your electrical wiring could be faulty, your circuit could be overloaded, or your circuit breaker may need replacing. No matter what the root cause, a qualified electrician will be able to diagnose and fix the problem for you.
Fuses and Circuit Breakers That Consistently Trip or Blow
The switchboard comprises the main switch alongside fuses and circuit breaks which play an important role in protecting your electrical wiring. By overloading your circuit with too many appliances that exceed the amp, you can cause a circuit breaker to trip – cutting off the power supply – or cause a fuse to blow. It is best to call in an electrician, however, if you find that the circuit hasn’t been overloaded yet a fuse or breaker keeps blowing.
If you need trustworthy and reliable electrical contractors to inspect and repair your electrical wiring, get in touch with the LCD Electrical Services team today on Norwich 01603 559311 or click the link below.