Do I need an Electrical Condition Report? The simple answer is yes, whether it’s your home, a business or a property you rent out, your electrical installation should always be covered by an up to date Certificate. Although it’s not a legal requirement at the time of writing this to have an Electrical Condition Report, this is expected to become law in 2019. Many legal documents refer to an Electrical Condition Report as a way of satisfying their requirements and can be used as evidence in a court of law.

Do you know that if you rent out a property and your tenant is electrocuted due to unsafe electrics then you can be prosecuted? Claiming that you were unaware of the condition of the electrical installation is not a suitable defence. In all local council areas, they will insist on a Condition Report for licencing rental properties.

What about my insurance? Many insurers require an Electrical Condition Report before providing cover, especially if you own a business where workers or the public are concerned. How would you feel about being taken to court for electrocuting a customer or employee only for your insurer to tell you that you’re not covered, and you’ll have to cover the costs?

During the Electrical Condition Report, the consumer unit, Wiring and electrical accessories are thoroughly tested and inspected for faults or deviations from the Wiring Standards. (BS7671) Throughout the test, the following will be inspected and tested:

  • The adequacy of the earthing and bonding.
  • Devices for protection against fire and electric shock.
  • Any damage or wear and tear that might affect the safety of the property’s inhabitants.
  • Identification of any damaged electrical fittings and accessories.
  • Identification of any exposed live wires that could cause a fire or injury.